875 East Cochran Street,
Simi Valley, California 93065
(805) 306-4500 Phone | (805) 520-6504 Fax

Board Meeting Videos & Agendas Board of Education Board Policy and Codes Election Information Board Trustees
District Office Emergency Information In the News New District Office SUPERINTENDENT Public Relations BUSINESS & FACILITIES Facilities Fiscal Services Food Services Information Technology Mailing Maintenance Measure C4 Bond Measure X Bond Printshop Purchasing Risk Management Student Safety & Transit Warehouse PERSONNEL SERVICES EDUCATIONAL SERVICES Elementary Education Pathways Secondary Education Student Support Services
Welcome to Our Schools Aeries Resources for Parents Anonymous Drug Reporting Form Calendars California Assessments Digital Citizenship Information and Resources Fundamental Schools High School Course Catalogs JK/TK/Traditional Kindergarten Information Naviance School Boundary Maps School of Choice School of Choice Applications-All Grades and 5th/6th Grade Intent to Register Forms Substance Abuse Prevention and Intervention Pathways Common Core Resources for Parents
Anonymous Drug Reporting Form High School Course Catalogs Student Privacy Act Links to Curriculum Suicide Prevention
2016 Bond Aeries Support for Staff Assessments Destiny Digital Citizenship Curriculum Making the Move to Google Professional Development Report Cards SIRAS Sub Finder for ALL STAFF
Simi Valley Schools
List of Schools School Boundary Maps


Kateri Mattila

Apollo High School

Deborah Bickford
Hillside Middle School

David Sorenson
Royal High School

Alejandra Bonvehi
Santa Susana High School

Brianne Mahlstedt
Simi Valley High School

Melissa Sadanaga
Sinaloa Middle School

Kyra Grzywacz
Valley View Middle School


Wendy Mayea

Student Support Services

805-306-4500 ext. 4310

Foster & Homeless Youth



You have the right to stay in the same school after you move to a new foster care placement. Your “school of origin” can be:

  1. The school you attended when you first entered foster care,
  2. The school you most recently attended, or
  3. Any school you attended in the last 15 months that you feel connected to. 

Your school district must work with you, your education rights holder,* your caregiver, and your social worker/probation officer to develop a plan to transport you to your school of origin.

If you are transitioning from elementary school to middle school or from middle school to high school, you have the right to transition to the same school as your classmates.

If there is any disagreement about which school you will attend, you have the right to stay in your school of origin until the disagreement is resolved.



You have the right to immediately enroll in your regular home school after you move placements.

You cannot be forced to attend a continuation school or other alternative education program, such as independent study, even if you are behind in credits or have discipline problems at school.

You have a right to immediately enroll in school and begin attending classes, even if you do not have the paperwork you would normally need for enrollment (such as birth certificate, transcript, or IEP) or you did not check-out from your previous school.

Your previous school must send your education records to your new school after you enroll.

You have the right to participate in any activities available at your new school, such as sports teams, tutoring, or after-school clubs, even if you miss a tryout or sign-up deadline.



If you change schools during the school year, you have a right to partial credits in all classes that you are passing when you leave your old school, even if you do not complete the entire class.

After you change schools, your new school must accept the partial credits issued by your old school.

After you change schools, you have the right to be enrolled in the same or similar classes you were enrolled in at your last school.

You cannot be forced to retake a class or part of a class that you have already completed with a passing grade, if it would make you off-track for high school graduation.

You have the right to take or retake any class that you need to go to a California State University or University of California.

Your grade cannot be lowered because you were absent from school for a court hearing, placement change, or a

court-related activity.



You have the right to stay in high school for a fifth year to complete your school district graduation requirements, even if you are over 18.

If you are behind on your credits, and you transferred schools after 10th grade, you may be eligible to graduate under AB 167/216 by completing only the state graduation requirements (130 credits in specific classes) instead of your school district’s requirements.

If you are eligible, the decision of whether to graduate under AB 167/216 is made by your education rights holder.



You have the right to have the application fee waived when you apply to a community college in California.

You have the right to receive the maximum amount of federal student aid and you may be eligible for up to $5,000 per year from the Chafee scholarship.



You have the right to access your school records if you are 16 years or older or have finished 10th grade.

Your social worker/probation officer and education rights holder can access your school records as well.

Foster Youth Services

VC Foster Kids. Includes information on foster care and resources.


iFoster. Includes information for youth, caregivers, and businesses.


Ventura County Office of Education Foster Youth Services. Information of legislation, links to local organizations, and assistance for families.


Every foster youth under age 18 must have an education rights holder, who is required to make education decisions in the youth’s best interest. Foster youth who are 18 or older have the right to make their own education decisions. Your education rights holder may be your parent or legal guardian, your caregiver, or another person chosen by the court. Your education rights holder cannot be your social worker or probation officer, your attorney, or group home or school staff members. It is important to know who your education rights holder is. If you need information about who your education rights holder is, you can contact your social worker or attorney.


As a foster youth, you also have other rights that are not related to school, such as the right to see a doctor or to have private storage space. For more information, please see the Foster Youth Bill of Rights.

Links for Homeless Youth and Families

School on Wheels. Free tutoring for students living in shelters, motels, group foster homes, domestic violence shelters, cars, on the street, in transitional housing, and including "couch surfing".

VCOE Homeless Education Project. Information from the Ventura County Office Of Education on the McKinney-Veto Act.

City of Simi Valley. Information from the City of Simi including the Affordable Housing Project.

Food Pantries. List of local food pantries.

Simi Valley Samaritan Center. The Samaritan Center can help provide family services that best meet each family's unique needs.

Simi Valley Free Clinic. Provides free and low cost medical, counseling, legal, and dental support.

Agency 101. This document provides a list of resources countywide and is produced by the Ventura County Office of Education.